1. Resources. The main key to this game above all other hints is managing resources. Keep your build to what you can afford to avoid falling behind on production. Maxing the production value of your power generators is more important than massing units. Build upgrades when you have resource surplus, not when you are in a deficit. Scale back/pause production until your resource production is gaining. This was a mistake I made when I started playing. The game will let you queue all that you want, but if your income can't support it, the production lags severely.
2. Always be building Quanta generators. As soon as you can build them, build them through the entire match/scenario. Always be upgrading logistics, attack, and defense.
3. Expand as quickly as possible. More generators = more resources = more/stronger units. Defend your conquered generators with turrets.
4. Build anti-air turrets and/or fighters to defend your nexus in the early game. The enemy AI and ESPECIALLY human players will hurl bombers at you very quickly. Make sure you can defend against them.
5. Quantum jammers. place these often to eliminate orbital attacks. build a good coverage net in your territory.
6. Scout the enemy with air units or cheap, disposable frigates. Knowing what your enemy is doing allows you to react accordingly.
Hope that helps.