Is it me, or the debug level options within Prefs.ini have no effect? No matter what I set, the amount of log rows in debug.err are the same. Values I've tried: High, Low, All, None, 0
By default, they are all set to "Default". A patch changelog mentioned something about showing less debug information, but that hasn't changed these settings. Perhaps this just simply hasn't been implemented?
Sometimes the last error log gives no impression of what is wrong with the mod that makes the game crash.
 The dump(.dmp) files under "C:\ProgramData\Stardock\Galactic Civilizations III" are binary (C is the drive that Windows is installed on).
[edit2] Three years later got an answer from Stardock:
The values are:
I hope that this helps, but it really depends on how much debug messages we've added to a various system. Also, FYI, the debug messages slow down the game, so a higher volume will cause your game to run slower, so make sure to set them back to default when you're done. You will probably want to set the Data, Inititalization, and Engine categories to Spam if your problem occurs during load.
- Stardock Programmer Cari