First the list of bugs (most of them are inherited from FE anyway)
- auto-saving - it is still very bad. It seems like the game saves the game at the end of the turn, resetting though movement points. Thus, it is possible to move twice a turn - you just hit the end of turn, and then reload previous save, and all armies are moved (and they should not), but they have their movement points restored. Worse happens when you were attack at the beginning of the turn - if you loose any units in this battle, you will have to re-fight this battle but without units you lost! This leads also to game breaking bug - if you reload a turn you finish your spell research you will not be able to do research any more. I have to restart one game b/c spells where showing no research being done, and there is no window where you can select it/or change it.
- stupid moving - if I have an unit on a path that will take couple turns to arrive, and then at the beginning of my turn my army is attacked, my army is automatically moved. It leads to weird animations - my army is moving and yet fighting at the same time; but it leads also to more serious bugs - I can and did end up on the same tile with: other enemy armies, lairs, or quests with nothing happening ...
- forced auto-resolving: though my option is set to 0 in enemy threshold of number of units when choice between auto-res and manual battles is offered, the game stills forces auto-resolve on me if a battle is my clear victory (strangely it happens only if I am attacking). Normally it is nice - I do not lose any hp, enemy is destroyed and I am saved from a useless choice. In practice it leads to problems: a) huge mana waste by casting fireballs in battles that can be win easy anyway sometimes there is still 1-4 hp loss (which would be avoided if battle is played manually) and it always goes to the last unit, e.g. archers. I did lose units to auto-resolved battle which i will never lose if I play manually - very annoying. c) sometimes I want to hypnotise unit, and no, i cannot b/c auto-resolve happens ...
- speaking about auto-resolve - spells like aura on a city that hurt enemies before battle start do not work in auto-resolve at all (unit should be dead right at the beginning, and it does if i play it manually, and yet it damages my units)
- there is still this poor AI in tactical battles - one thing annoys me to no end is that once the enemy unit is within zone of control of my unit it will NEVER move outside but always attack my unit. I can have my hero with 1hp standing 1 tile away and enemy MUST attack the unit, instead of just moving and finishing my hero. It makes battle super exploitable, and predictable. This is a bug from FE and I have hope, perhaps with new team, someone who knows a little bit more than frog about tactical battles will try to fix it.
- game in general seems a poor sister of FE: I do not know if other factions are planned, but if they are not, I think it is once-play all know type of game. Same building, same units ... Perhaps the number of summons will be eventually great enough to balance it and make games different from each other (if I have access only to 10 out 100 summons unit, and the choice is randomized each game then yes, you can play it more than once)
- problem with archers - in this game losing a single unit is bad. Thus, situation when you cannot win battle without loses are annoying. And enemy archers are bad. They have higher initiative than mine and they always go first and can even one-shoot experienced troops. The armies of enemy i dread most are composed of archers exclusively. And they come like waves ... i cannot easily change initiative of my archers, so I am forced to take losses. I can cast defensive spells but they are too expensive for amount of armies that show up. So what I can do? Nothing ... By the way - heroes skill that adds +75 of dodge against archers does not work - they still hit basically every time. In general too many favors for archers: they can move out of zoc of unit with no problems, they can shot melee units that just attacked them without any apparent penalties...
- tactical battles - arenas are too small. If units start so close it makes casting spells and using abilities kind of pointless - battles just go so fast, and all units are involved anyway. I truly dislike that an unit must lose a turn if a sov casts a spell.
- lair of enemies - they tend to be of the same type when map is created. One game I had all of them were 2 horses + 2 wargs. In another 1 ogr + stalkers. Not to mention that second game was way way harded, it gets boring pretty fast. Units are the same, positions are the same, tactical maps are the same - i had battles that were 100% identical! And I hope more enemies type will be added eventually - right now it looks poor
- crafting looks good - but in truth - instead of finding new and exciting (unique) equipment - now i find crafting materials to make boring equipment
Things I love: nice visuals, nice animations, good idea with enemy growing in power and panic to expand rapidly and stop him