Here's the first of the Interregnum "Manual" entries I'm writing on Moddb, starting with what will probably every Imperial commander's first capitalship.
Victory class Star Destroyer
In-Game Description: A smaller Star Destroyer design capable of atmospheric operations, the Victory class Star Destroyer has been made obsolete in space combat, but still serves as a useful planetary assault and garrison ship.
Strikecraft: 0-2 Squads.
- TIE Fighter
- TIE Bomber
- TIE Bomber (Proton Bombs)
- Establish Garrison: The Victory Star Destroyer sends a landing party and a prefabricated garrison base down to the planet via Sentinel landing craft, bring the planet under your control. The garrison also constructs resource extractors and increases the planet's maximum hit points.
- Bombardment Leader: The experienced gunnery crews and specialized targeting computers on this vessel allow it to better direct planetary bombardment, increasing the damage dealt by allies to enemy planets while the Star Destroyer is in the gravity well.
- Boron Missile Strike: Fires a salvo of powerful long range Boron missiles modified to deal maximum damage to orbital structures and starbases while reducing their armor.
- Landing Force: Deploys several Sentinel Landing Craft to land Stormtroopers on an enemy planet to destroy key planetary infrastructure, dealing substantial damage to the planet and slowing ship and planet upgrade construction.
Analysis: The Wars of Interregnum have forced the Imperial Navy to become increasingly specialized, and no warship better shows this than the original Victory class. While the extra-galactic invader's preference for orbital bombardment has caused most Imperial Warships to carry few if any ground forces, the Victory class has been retooled into all in one planetary assault ships. As one of the few Imperial capitalships available at the start, its ability to establish new bases makes the Victory class the go to first capitalship for Imperial commanders. Its outdated engines and weapons means it will lose to other capitalships in a space battle, but the Victory class' atmospheric flight capabilities and missile tubes make it adept at clearing gravity wells of enemy structures and then bombing the defenseless planet. It can also deploy ground forces to speed this task along while halting enemy production, and of course once the planet surrenders it can establish a new garrison straight away.
Also worth mentioning is that while the Victory class does not carry the more advanced TIE Fighters that other Star Destroyers do, it is the only Imperial ship that deployed TIE Bombers with Proton Bombs, which deal extra damage to space stations and starbases, further helping the Victory class clear enemy gravity wells.